View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 04:34 PM
FDXLAG
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Not moot - and your argument makes no sense.

Just because someone checks the conversion box doesn't mean they get it. Some months no one gets their reserve line converted. Other months no one checks the box but 5, 10, 15%.... whatever the number - get involuntarily converted. Checking the box just means you get your days off from your R-line honored.

His point is very valid. Under the new system, their will be more secondary line holders... period....dot. Under the old system, if the planners hit their numbers right, 100% of the R-days were awarded during the initial bid, the number of secondaries was the original number in the bid pack and no one got converted. I seriously doubt many months (if any) had 20% of the R-lines converted to secondaries. Things simply aren't that dynamic - flying just doesn't appear out of thin air.
It has been 6 or 7 years but every time I have asked for a conversion (probably 3) I have been converted and gotten the weekend off I wanted. Under the new system I know I would rather have the last choice of a VTO line and have some say then the current last choice of a reserve line and have no say. YMMV.