View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 02:46 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by sandrich View Post
Was talking about this with a few captains I've been flying with regarding the interpretation of the phrase by ATC "speed restrictions removed" on departure. Particularly pertaining to outside of the US, for example departing out of HKG. Most SIDs will have speed restriction at a few waypoints (max 220kts until waypoint X, max 240kts until waypoint Y) and also a note on the plan view "max speed 250kias below 10,000."

My question is, if you're flying a heavy aircraft that requires, say, 265kts for a clean maneuvering speed and ATC tells you that "speed restrictions are removed" can you now
1-cancel any waypoint speed restrictions along the SID (220 to X, 240 to Y) but still limited to 250kts
2-accelerate above 250kts as required to clean up and climb
3-disregard any speed restrictions and accelerate to a cruise climb speed, say 280-320kts

I know in some places the terms "high-speed climb approved" and "speed restrictions removed" are used interchangeably, in others they have different meanings. People I've flown with seem to interpret this phraseology different, figured I'd see what everyone's take on it was.
In the US, CFR 91.117 allows you to fly faster than 250 below 10K if your clean maneuvering is higher than 250. There is no requirement to request this.

Most countries outside the US do not have this exception. You must always ask for a higher speed than 250 below 10K if you require it or you must remain appropriately configured to stay at or below 250. Where it is written is in the individual country rules and regs. Taiwan (for example) will let you exceed 250 below 10K for performance but you are required to advise ATC as soon as possible.

I think the answer to your question is answer #1. "Speed restrictions removed" applies to the specific SID airspeed restrictions (in my opinion). It's not a carte blanche clearance to exceed the normal country restrictions, so you must still remain at 250 or below until you reach 10,000 (or above 10,000 if you're in Japan).

If I need higher than 250 outside the US, I ask for the specific speed. The other phraseology like "high speed approved" usually has been used in the context of approving a higher clean speed. Being specific takes any guesswork out of the equation.