Thread: New Mesa Thread

CBreezy , 12-12-2015 01:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off
CBreezy
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2013
Quote: I don't care if you hand fly all the time--I just think you should learn how to fly the airplane as it was designed to fly first, using the full range of automation.

A lot of our EJet pilots are still flying transitions from the STAR to the ILS/visual using VS/FPA modes, and have no idea how to use the VNAV/LNAV when cleared for a visual. They're flying it like a CRJ. It drives me bonkers when I see the speed going amber--and, lo and behold, the FO is using vertical speed/FPA (or hand-flying). Shaking my head.

Maybe I'll start enforcing a rule on my FOs--prove that you can go from the top of the STAR to 50 feet above TDZE without using FPA or VS. Then--and only then--can you hand-fly all the time.
It is my opinion the second you are cleared for a visual, every single pilot, every single time, should turn off the automation.

The automation is designed to reduce workload to increase situational awareness. If you are relying on it as the primary means of flying the aircraft because you are unable to fly it without LNAV/VNAV, then you don't know how to fly the aircraft.