Thread: New Mesa Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Bucketofpropwas
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2015

Originally Posted by squawkoff View Post
From one old fart to another welcome aboard. Plan on spending about two to three months doing a lot of ready reserve. Your first month off IOE they will fly you a lot to get your consolidation. Then you'll spend a lot of time at the airport usually with two or three other FOs on ready reserve. Why they need more than two is beyond me. So far I'm very disappointed but to be fair I'll wait until I get off reserve to pass a final judgement. Reserve here absolutely sucks compared to where I came from. They don't have a problem calling you at 4 am to tell you you have a 6pm showtime for a flight. Why they need to call you then is beyond me but they will. The crews have been great. Haven't found a dudd yet but I'm sure they're out there. I think my age garners a smidgen of respect so maybe they treat me a little different than someone 35 years my junior. There are some things I like better here at Mesa than my last gig and some things I like less. When it comes to regionals if you can remember the saying "embrace the suck" things may not seem so bad. Expect the company to do what is best for them and not for you.

Where are you hoping to be domiciled?
I think the 175 IAH. Gotta get through the next 3 months, buckle down cooperate and get everyone in the class through the oral, then the sims. Im a team player and hope to learn lots in training. I will Probably try to start a rental house or Crashpad for extra cash, unless someone's got one started. Not really a Crashpad type, so sharing a house would be great. I'm looking at the northwest area. Do most folks have a car or is the transportation good to get out to areas? After I get a line, I will most likely commute in the night before and not stress things until I'm off probation. I don't think I can afford hotels while on reserve if we're on ready. Does Mesa cover hotels during IOE or will I need to pay for hotels in base during this time?

If I'm on ready do they have a ready room designated for ready pilots to rest, sleep or relax or should I not ask? Is ready 8 hours?