View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 02:39 PM
Raptor
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Default FedEx: Overage or Substitution or OTP?

Hey all, I know this is all in the contract and the ALPA pocket calendar, but I'm still very confused because the language and process is hard to decipher. In all the years I've been here, I've only had these situations happen once or twice to me.

Recently, I've talked with several people who have had the overage or substitution choice. I'm confused if there's a best strategy to maximize pay? Or is it always situation dependent? Did the "take the overage, substitution or OTP options" change on this contract? I don't know if it's because the schedules are tighter on duty time or what, but in any case, here's the scenarios:

1) You are on a trip that turns into another trip. Your first trip goes over by 4 calendar hours, but conflicts with your turn into trip which is a typical 6 CH trip. What's better--take the small overage and go into sub? Elect OTP? If you take the sub, can you just jumpseat home and if you do, and don't take the phone call assigning you a trip while you are in the air on the way home, what happens--you simply lose the sub or do you get a letter?

2) You are on a trip that turns into another trip. Your first trip goes over by 3 CH (with some of that at 150%) deep into the following 6 CH trip. Take the overage of the first trip, decline sub and elect OTP, etc? If you accept the sub, does that mean that you don't get the 150% of the first trip that now goes into the turning trip's footprint? Would your answer change if the following trip was 8 or 9 CH that was dropped?

3) You are on a trip that turns into another trip. Your first trip goes over by 5 CH (with some of that at 150%) deep into the following 4 day, 24 CH trip. Same questions as above?

In short, can someone please help me understand if there's always a best option or strategy, any gotchas, etc? I'm not having this happen to me, but I think this is one of my weakest areas of knowledge of the CBA and I would like to finally know what to do under different scenarios. After all, there's not much time in 30 minutes to figure it out and not doing it "right" can be costly.

Also, can anyone provide a short primer and short and long sub windows and if the considerations differ between them? Have there been any scheduling matters/union articles on this process?

Thanks!