View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 01:45 PM
UnlimitedAkro
Gets ALL Days Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Sit down comedian.

This is probably at least the 6th article I have seen on the "Looming Pilot Shortage" in the last 2 months. Previous articles published in CNN, ALPA Magazine, AOPA Magazine, USA today... the list goes on.

And the good news for the pilots: it looks like this is just the beginning of the pilot shortage problem. The problem is all across the board. A drop in flight training, less private licenses and far less commercial licenses issued in the last few years. Most flight schools are short on instructors from many being pulled into the regionals with abnormally low flight time.

And most recently, the majors now hiring at a increasing rate... pulling many of the regional pilots up to major airlines and causing other regionals to lower their minimums and fight each other for the few remaining pilots who have little or no flight time.

Many regionals are now paying current employees $500 to find pilots. Regional airline emails and memos are now sent out regularly twice a month reminding employees of the bonuses that are offered to find pilots! I'd love to have another $500... problem is, I cant find anyone else...

This is only the beginning of what could turn into a major shortage...