View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 07:05 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Military?

Originally Posted by 402DRVR View Post
Nic eto see a little publicity on the issue. I know when I started my little break from the airlines I joibed the service at the lowest paygrade and with bennies took a pay raise. That's as an enlisted guy at the bottom of the list. I had been flying a CRJ.
I have always mentioned here that if a guy were to skip college and flight training and simply join the military they would be much better off.

Not only do military personnel receive awesome benefits but it is often overlooked that almost every other expense is covered as well. Military people receive housing, food and some form of clothing allowance. In contrast a new regional pilot earns a similar wage but has the added burden of living expenses and often a huge student loan as well.

A soldier can save almost every dime of their wages plus can expect to retire in 20 years. Good luck coming even close as a pilot. By the time a military enlisted person is ready to retire the pilot hasn't even reached a major yet and still had many years left to pay on loans.

SkyHigh