Thread: LEC 26 Recall
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 04:41 AM
Micro
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Drinking from the fire hose

A couple of people asked me how a recall works. While you can read it in the Alpa bylaws and the MEC policy manual, I'll try and distill it here. To recall a LEC/MEC rep (not the MEC Officers) a member must request, in writing to his LEC chairman, an agenda item requesting the issuance of ballots for the recall of (Name).

The LEC chairman then schedules the agenda items for the next special or regular meeting. At that meeting the agenda items (request for recall ballots) are voted on and if passed by 50%+1 of the members present and including proxies, ballots are sent to the LEC members who then vote to recall or not.

Members attending the meeting are allowed to bring only three proxies per agenda item and those proxies must specifically state what agenda items the proxy is for. If you can't make the meeting, you must find a member attending and have them bring the proxy. Proxy forms can be found on the Alpa website:
1. Log into the Alpa website
2. Go to FDX under My MEC/LEC
3. under Home go to Fedex MEC info center
4. Links for the Proxy forms are on the right side of the page

To recall a MEC Officer (ie. DW), a motion must come from the MEC and be voted on by the MEC. Union members do not vote on a MEC offficer recall.

That's the way it works. It's time to get some new blood into our union. Although I'm working for a recall of the LEC 26 reps, I personally don't think they are bad guys. I respect the work they've done but I feel that they have lost touch with what the membership wants and don't represent us any longer. The only way to change that is to recall them and elect new people who do represent what we want and how we want this union to work.