View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 07:15 PM
T6 Pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2013

Originally Posted by Snaplock View Post
I have a similar question. In short, I am in a family situation where it is not possible for me to get out of the military without a stable job lined up. I'll be shelling out thousands a month for medical costs for a family member without Tricare, so going to a regional for a while isn't really acceptable. Pretty sure the wife would divorce me if I went that route. So, I guess I'm looking for advice for when to put my availability date with the airlines? I know everyone wants a perfect transition but in my case without it I'll be forced to stay in for the insurance...BUT my wife and I are done with this social experiment that we call the AF and want out now. I should have 60 days of leave saved up so with that said how far can I back up my availability to hopefully get an interview and get hired before I get out? I fear that it might not be smart to back it up too much and then potentially **** off an airline. I know and understand that very deserving dudes have waited years for a call, so I know I probably sound like a douche but I have to take care of the medical problems in my family. Stats:
~2,200 total time
~2,000 Turbine
~1,750 TPIC
~850 Instructor
Current pointy nose IP and hopefully SEFE soon
Additional IP time in trainers
Safety qual'd
BA GPA 3.73 but I took 6 years to get there because I entered ROTC late
MBA GPA 3.89
Consistent volunteer work for as far back as you want to look
Fluent in another language and working knowledge in 2x other languages

I appreciate any advice or spears!
Put the earliest date you can get out - plus any terminal leave. That date should be on your app. Expect airline traffic to start about 6 months from your availability date.

What's your flying background -- I'm assuming AETC tour in there somewhere. PM specifics if you want advice.