View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 05:50 AM
Blackhawk
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by oldscout
Years ago PHI had a program for licensed mechanics with a commercial/instrument helo license with low hours. But not anymore.
Due to insurance ... most helo jobs require a min. of 1000 pic helo.

You are better using those funds to get fixed wing time, I am chopper rated
and love flying, but most airlines will not count that time when applying or
upgrading. I have friends of mine getting out of the military, so I think that
there is a shortage of helo jocks is not quite true.......thanks to our many
wars overseas the military is letting plenty of these guys and girls out. Same
after the Vietnam war. Due to the air mobile concept of modern warfare,
helicopter pilots are trained in the hundreds to thousands, and most get out
as soon as they can, today the army uses modern ifr turbine helos.
I generally agree, but I am not sure yet about how the helicopter industry will pan out in the near future for pilots.
Hundreds of thousands of RW pilots is a great exageration. I went through flight school at the hight of the Reagan build up and our class size was 60 students, 3 classes a month. Now, I think, it runs class sizes of 40 students, 2 classes a month. Hundreds of pilots maybe; hundreds of thousands, hardly.
Also, I do think the FAA is being spurred to action, finally, by the NTSB to change some of the work rules, training rules, and aircraft minimums. I think some of the positions that don't require an instrument rating will go away.
Also, the Army is not increasing the RW fleet as they did during the Viet Nam war. Some new aircraft are coming on line such as the light utility, but UH-1s are finally being slowly retired from the Guard, so it's a wash. Again, I don't know how it will work out; we will see.
Hey RedDog25- are you guys finally back?? I was on the other side of the ramp with the Guard and it seems as if your unit was gone for a while. You left before us and were still gone when we returned over a year later. When I upgraded my sim partner Doug was in the unit. Haven't seen him back yet.