View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 AM
wildcat1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Default Pending 135 Cargo Pilot Shortage

I'm sitting here at AMF and I can't help but notice that AMF is robbing Peter to pay Paul, only to still come up short. At last check CVG had only 1 full time metro captain for 3 aircraft and DFW does not have enough pilots to staff its current runs.

With so many regionals hiring pilots with less than 135 minimums, I don't think the situation can be fixed easily. However, if AMF is watching, I have a solution that I think will work.

1. Hire FO's for all turbo prop aircraft. You can hire a 99, 1900 and Metro FO's with even lower flight times than any regional would and have them in the system to upgrade when needed.

2. Raise Wages....BIG TIME! 135 cargo has the stigma of bad maintenance, worse management and worse hours. You can combat that with irresistable wages. One or two thousand a year more will never change the current staffing situation. A 35% or more increase is absolutely needed.

135 cargo can be a great way to get turboprop PIC time and many pilots will flock to the chance to upgrade quickly. However, if they already have a job at a regional that will probably upgrade them nearly as fast, why go to AMF? The only answer to that question will be "better pay" but that will only be the case if changes are made.