Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Pending 135 Cargo Pilot Shortage

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Default Pending 135 Cargo Pilot Shortage

I'm sitting here at AMF and I can't help but notice that AMF is robbing Peter to pay Paul, only to still come up short. At last check CVG had only 1 full time metro captain for 3 aircraft and DFW does not have enough pilots to staff its current runs.

With so many regionals hiring pilots with less than 135 minimums, I don't think the situation can be fixed easily. However, if AMF is watching, I have a solution that I think will work.

1. Hire FO's for all turbo prop aircraft. You can hire a 99, 1900 and Metro FO's with even lower flight times than any regional would and have them in the system to upgrade when needed.

2. Raise Wages....BIG TIME! 135 cargo has the stigma of bad maintenance, worse management and worse hours. You can combat that with irresistable wages. One or two thousand a year more will never change the current staffing situation. A 35% or more increase is absolutely needed.

135 cargo can be a great way to get turboprop PIC time and many pilots will flock to the chance to upgrade quickly. However, if they already have a job at a regional that will probably upgrade them nearly as fast, why go to AMF? The only answer to that question will be "better pay" but that will only be the case if changes are made.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: CR7 FO

Human resources is scheduling your drug test right now.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:14 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Raytheon 850 XP and HS - 125-700a FO
Default Amf

Hello,

I agree with you on that thought. For I am starting Flight Safety on Monday Aug. 13 for EMB 120 -FO training to be based in CHO part of CVG fleet. Currently I can't PM!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Wow. They've had that position posted for months! And it just went up again. Are you sure you are staying at CHO?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:35 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Raytheon 850 XP and HS - 125-700a FO
Default Emb 120

Yup! Check Pm
Old 08-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2006

If you could get rid of the stigma that Majors only want 121 guys you would get a lot more people coming for the quick turbine PIC. Unfortunately there are several airlines who seem to frown on only Pt.135 time.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Hi!

They WILL be forced to raise pay.

What happens when FedEx calls and asks why only 3 of the 6 aircraft showed up that night and they are told there was no pilots to fly the other three aircraft?

FedEx/UPS may have to start Ab-Initio training to staff their feeder flying, just like the airlines will.

cliff
YIP
Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: C152

Originally Posted by atpcliff View Post
Hi!

They WILL be forced to raise pay.

What happens when FedEx calls and asks why only 3 of the 6 aircraft showed up that night and they are told there was no pilots to fly the other three aircraft?

FedEx/UPS may have to start Ab-Initio training to staff their feeder flying, just like the airlines will.

cliff
YIP
Or maybe giving preference to those 135 pilots for positions flying their big iron?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Yet the truth is most of us(Well I'm now former 135) freight guys know we're ready and able to fly about anything, anywhere, in any weather. Not only that, usually with sub-standard equipment and we have to do extra non-pilot duties that is a hand-out at any other company. I never understood how hard work could be so frowned upon just because of the "Stigma" of the freight dog. Be proud, be safe, and hope you guys' get some raises, I know you deserve it.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
Yet the truth is most of us(Well I'm now former 135) freight guys know we're ready and able to fly about anything, anywhere, in any weather. Not only that, usually with sub-standard equipment and we have to do extra non-pilot duties that is a hand-out at any other company. I never understood how hard work could be so frowned upon just because of the "Stigma" of the freight dog. Be proud, be safe, and hope you guys' get some raises, I know you deserve it.
I've poured my heart and soul into AMF over the last 14 months and have no regrets. I recently got offered a Part 91/135 gig flying Beechjets out of a local airport. When the Chief Pilot saw that I was an "AMF Guy" he told the owner and one of the other pilots, "we need to get this guy". He liked me as well did the owner of the company. I feel that my time at AMF gave me the ability to secure this job. I'm going PTOC (Part Time On Call) at AMF to help out with the staffing issues until I'm up and running at the new company.

Even though I'm now flying shiny jets with lots of buttons and glass inside the cockpits and weather radar that actually works, I am and always will be a freight dog. I will always remember my roots.