Thread: NWA Pilots
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Rosie
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by XtremeF150 View Post
Everyone realizes that CMP doesn't fly EMB 195 or 190's right? Jet Blue yes but CMP no. CMP will be flying 76 seat aircraft...the EMB 175. The same number of seats as the Mesaba CRJ 900's. Why are we not yelling about Mesaba? How about all those 175's at RAH that work under U.S. Airways with 86 seats. I don't think having larger aircraft at the regionals is a good idea any more than the next guy but I am just pointing out that there are Alot of 70+ seat aircraft operating at the regionals today.
The contract that was put in place by the NWA union for CMP is not a bare bones contract by any means. I would venture to say that it is above many contracts that have been worked on for more than a decade. I think for a first contract that was put in place before proving runs were finished, it is right up there with the best. Can anyone name another carrier that had a better contract in place before their service started.

CMP is not perfect, but what carrier is?
CMP is not covered by the NWA contract. The only wording in the NWA contact was regarding NEWCO which did become Compass. THe contact only provides for a flow up/down for NWA pilots should they be furloughed. There is nothing in the contract regarding Compass work rules pay etc. The only pay addressed in the NWA contact is for the DC-9 replacement and the contract only discusses a 100 seat or small-jet and pay. NWA has been looking very hard for a 100 seat jet and seem to be very interested in the 190/195. CMP/PNCL/Mesaba are all erroding main line flying at NWA and the "narrowbody floor" (number of DC9 and Airbus 319/320 aircraft) will not be set until one year after NWA exited CH 13. How many DC-9 and 319/320 can be parked in a year. There is a max number of RJ but I do not recall the number and presently the three NWA regionals are pretty far below it if I am correct.

All that being said....if I lived in MSP DTW or MEM I would consider NWA to save the pains of commuting. It just bothers me to get slightly better than RJ wages to fly an aircraft the size of one I previously had flown (DC-9). I aslo see a lot of bottom stagnation at NWA with the narrow bodies being reduced and CMP/PNCL/Mesaba picking up the flying.

Good Luck
Rosie