View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 01:11 PM
The Gardener
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by NorthRoader907 View Post
Hehehe. Hahahaha. Ahahahahahahah-ahhhhhh. Thanks. I needed that.

Seriously, though: No. There is a dynamic that used to prevail in Alaska Part 135 flying that went something like this.. "If you come fly the sled for us, and we really like you, and you don't ever turn down any flights, and you like working on your days off, and your wife has a good job so she can support you, and you can see through clouds, then after a couple years, if we still like you, then we might begin to talk about possibly giving you a shot at flying the Bonanza/Navajo/402 in the ice over the Alaska/Chugach range MEAs of 12/14K feet. If you survive a couple years of this, and we still like you, we might dangle a volunteer position in the right seat of a Skyvan/1900/ King air/ Metroliner/ etc, so you can pad your resume with some twin-turbine SIC. By now, your wife has undoubtedly left you, but have no fear: you can marry one of our hub ticket agents, and live in the chief pilots's travel trailer in transient parking, because by now, you two are BFFs, and you have proven that you're a company man.

Anyway, after 2001, this sweet deal evaporated into thin air, but somehow, Grant never got the memo.

No, I haven't worked for Grant. Just all the others. That said, I wouldn't fly anywhere else but Alaska. Or maybe Africa.
Can't hate me for asking

It was that last sentence that gets us all in the trouble we're in...
Now back to packing for a paid vacation to Tahoe. See, there, I just did it too. %*$(