Thread: Liberty Univ?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 07:12 PM
puggle
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2014

Originally Posted by MartinBishop
I would NOT get a degree in aviation. And quite honestly I wouldn't get a degree from LU either. Here is why...

1- An aviation degree isn't very diverse if you're a pilot. If you lose your medical or get bored with the profession, or furloughed, etc you'll have to do something else. You'll want a back up career just in case. Major airlines don't really care what your degree is in, so it doesn't matter so much. Which is why its better to get a degree in something unrelated to aviation.

2- I know some people who graduated from LU and they seem to have received a good education. However many employers out there do not consider LU a real school; they consider it 4 years of church camp. While their matriculation may be fine, unfortunately their reputation in the real world is not (justly or unjustly). Getting a degree from there might limit your options severely later on outside of the aviation field.

3- You should get the cheapest degree you possibly can. That means community colleges and state universities. Do your flight training separately. The less debt you have the more options you have.
I vehemently disagree with you assertion that employers do not like Liberty. LU has graduates that are employed by virtually every major and LCC (Delta, American, United, and JetBlue, just name a few.