View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 07:09 AM
FrankTheTank
Fill'er Up Again

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Scarebus Captain

Originally Posted by flymoose65 View Post
Totally old thread that no one is paying attention to anymore but I found it interesting to read. I was an S-3 NFO many moons ago. 3710 says that copilot time can be logged by anyone with an aeronautical designation (1320 is one) so I kept track of my front seat time. Later, I transitioned to pilot and flew P-3's, T-34's and C-12's and now I instruct at FSI. We still get the occasional NFO but of course do not redesignate them. They simply fly as a copilot (which the 3710 allows). My kids are all off to college so I am currently considering applying for airlines (who isn't) but did not include my S-3 time as SIC. There is a block for "other time" on airline apps so I have like 2000 hours of that. As a 1500 hour S-3 NFO with nearly 800 hours in the front seat, hours and hours of stick time including formation and field T/O and Landings, I think it is a real shame that the time is not considered. Really doesn't make any sense to me when I weigh my S-3 copilot time against C-12 or P-3 SIC time. But that is the way it is. Fortunately I have enough time to not need it but the extra 800 hours of turbojet SIC time would have been nice. Just between you, me and the fence post, I felt like flight school was overkill. I had already received great instruction from some of the best pilots in the world for almost 5 years. And as I mentioned, S-3 COTAC time is valuable and the lack of official VT pilot training time is inconsequential.

I disagree. You are not a Naval Aviator.. The time is certainly invaluable but to log it as copilot time is a reach. I don't think it would pass the smell test in an interview!