View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 05:13 AM
GatorHog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015
Position: pj's and coffee

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
Every couple of years or so, this very issue with USAA seems to come up. It always inspires me to check around, again, to see if I'm overpaying on the various insurances that I have with them. So I logged on to the USAA site and found that between homeowners, auto insurance, and renters insurance (I own a rental property), I pay a little over $4900 a year. Auto insurance alone is $1900, for two newer Mercedes Benz's. When I look at companies like GEICO, Liberty Mutual, Allstate, etc, I find that I can indeed reduce my premiums, by perhaps a third. However, then I factor in the monies that USAA sends me, each year, and I again realize that it's cheaper for me to stay with them than to go elsewhere. This past December, USAA sent me a check for $622, which they call my subscriber account bonus. Then in February, they again sent me a "senior bonus" check for $1322. As well, they annually contribute to my Subscribers Savings Account, which now has over $13K in it. I think I'll stay right here. As for their degrading customer service, I really don't see that because I have little to no interaction with them. If I did, and it had gotten as bad as you guys are saying, I'd think about switching too.
Do you have to be with USAA for a certain number of years before you start getting these checks and contributions from them? This is the first I've heard of these and I've been with them for over a decade.