View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 08:13 AM
busdriver12
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by GatorHog View Post
Do you have to be with USAA for a certain number of years before you start getting these checks and contributions from them? This is the first I've heard of these and I've been with them for over a decade.
We were with USAA for about 25 years. Paid them a lot of money, never got one of those checks. Maybe it's something new, thought I do seem to recall every now and then they'd send us a tiny check. Perhaps if your subscribers savings account is to a certain level, they send it to you. But the subscribers savings account has been around for a long time, you should have something in it. You get a notice every year.

I have heard of people cancelling all their USAA insurance, getting the SSA check after 6 months, and then going back. Apparently they will offer you a better deal to return.

When we moved out of Memphis many years ago, our auto insurance went up. I called and said, what the heck? Far less accidents and better drivers here than Memphis. The explanation was that when you move, they "re-evaluate", and we had had 8 claims overall. What, 8 claims? We'd had only one, of which they'd paid about $1500 out for. Turns out that if you filed a claim and it was below your deductible, or they didn't pay out-strike against you. I think they counted as a claim every single time I even called and asked a question.

GEICO is far cheaper if you have young drivers. They do not price higher for young drivers (which is a big deal), and USAA cannot compete with that.