View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 03:40 PM
TimetoClimb
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Sounds like you've got it all figured out, then.

Amazing you didn't figure it out with your "searches to kalamazoo and your reading of all the FAA legal interpretations." At least you've got all the answers now.

God forbid you upgrade at 2,000 hours.
Did some more research and found the 'Duncan 2012' Interpretation.
The curious paragraph towards the end states:

"the new provision for logging PIC time [61.51(e)(1)(iv)] should not be confused with 61.159(a)(4) which permits a pilot to count second in command time toward the 250 hours of flight time required for the ATP certificate. Accordingly, if an SIC is not participating an an approved PIC training program in accordance with 61.51(e)(1)(iv), the time performing the duties of PIC under the supervision of a PIC must be logged as SIC time that may be relied up for meeting the requirement of 61.159(a)(4)"

(a)(4) is now (a)(5) btw.

Sounds like I don't need to log it as PIC because when I'm hand flying, taxiing, etc I believe that constitutes "performing the duties of a PIC" and I can keep it all as SIC in my logbook and still meet this requirement. Can someone chime in on this?

"Duties of PIC" is referred to in 61.51(e)(1)(iv) for what's required in the approved training program. But all it says in 61.159(a)(5) is "performing the duties of PIC under the supervision of a PIC", hence no approved training program required. Do I have this straight?