View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 09:30 AM
machz990
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: 777 CAP
Default Business Class Deadheads

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
That's a surprisingly low fare for JAL. They are usually through the roof.

Unfortunately, your seat was legal under the new contract as well as the old one. The block time and non-discounted ticket puts you in business class. It appears that was the best seat available on the flight you took and there has never been any requirement for the company to search out flights with better options. They pick and you get what's on that flight. There is nothing in either version of the CBA to support your view that your bank should be credited with a higher ticket price. Unfortunately, the wording of the new contract does not REQUIRE you to be in a flat-bed seat. It says that satisfies the higher class of service, so if they get there before they get to first class, they can stop. It doesn't say they have to get there if they get to the class of service specified by the old contract language still present.

I agree your situation was total BS. Because..... we were sold this POS under that false pretense that we would be getting a flat-bed seat on long haul DHs in exchange for some wiggle room on actual class of service. Maybe we can grieve this and win, but I won't hold my breath.

The contract is written with a hierarchical structure , main paragraph then sub paragraphs. Our negotiating committee said all the old language on first class and banks was preserved and we would still get the higher bank if warranted. Not the case at all. The new language of, "a lie-flat seat satisfies the higher class of service" was inserted into the new CBA above the old language so therefore the old language is subordinate to the new language due to the hierarchy. When a lie-flat seat is available the company stops reading. All language below that statement becomes N/A. Example: The deadhead from Sydney back to Memphis was always in full first with a fare around $8500. It's now in business with a fare around $3200. I used to deviate and go on Delta for $5000 and save about $3500. Can't do that now with the lower accepted fare. You're basically stuck.