View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 10:40 AM
FDXLAG
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
I guess my English is lacking. Can you explain what you mean by this and perhaps offer a real world application relating to DH/deviation?
The Flat Bed Seat language has everything to do with how you can be booked, it has nothing to do with bank. For a practical application, had the JAL flight in question had FC but no seats were available so they booked you in BC, your bank should be authorized FC.

Regardless of the class of service actually ticketed, a pilot’s
deviation bank shall be credited with the Baseline Fare for the
highest class of service which is authorized on the scheduled
deadhead flight, and which exists on that flight.

Yes, to CDG and most of Europe, you will have block under 10 - so business or first at company discretion. You cherry pick Europe to make your point, but this whole discussion started with a DH to Asia.

Maybe this JAL fare of $2031 is an anomaly but, I still find it strange that if I wanted a ticket from LAX-KIX tomorrow or next month, no such fare exists. Your underlined statement above - is valid only because of this ridiculously low JAL fare which appears to be a one day special. The only two flights from the west coast to KIX non-stop are UAL and JAL. Under the old contract, we would have been booked in discounted FC on UAL. Assuming it is an aberration for a moment and normally JAL fares far exceed discounted US carriers........ so old contract, discounted first - new contract discounted BC. Big difference.

What language copied from the contract in the 2011 required UAL discounted First? Old contract new contract same language. The difference is JAL BC on this flight beats UAL FC so they booked you on it. If the JAL flight had a discounted FC they would have been required to book you on it

If a deadhead has 10 or more scheduled block hours, the
travel shall be booked in the following order based upon availability
on the scheduled flight:
(a) First Class (discounted);
(b) Business Class (full fare or discounted);
(c) First Class (full fare).

Again what has changed is not the contract language, but the number of airlines only offering Business on particular routes. I don't like it but it is legal and contract 2015 has nothing to do with it. Plenty of times coming back from CDG (two legs to MEM) I think Block and or Duty authorized First, but because AA only had BC, that is what we got.