Thread: Skywest v2.0
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 08:20 PM
Turbosina
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Guppy Gear Slinger

Originally Posted by GiggidyGone View Post
This all makes sense when the majors aren't hiring but last I checked Delta, American, United are all looking to hire hundreds of pilots in 2017 alone EACH. This doesn't include the LLC's. Even if SkyWest doesn't secure anymore additional flying I'm going to venture out to say we "post 2014 hires" will be just fine. I've been here over a year and am losing 40-50 numbers a month in seniority and that number is at worst going to stay steady if not increase.

I'm not understanding your point. As far as upgrade, is there a possibility it may Plateau a bit with the influx of hiring, maybe, maybe not. But in the state of the industry today, nobody is in a bad spot unless they are working for airline that will go out of business before they can move on.

Finally you mentioned you wouldn't come here as a new hire today because of all the hiring we are doing, so you would go to... XJT or Air Wisconsin, somewhere struggling to fill classes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't say I have a better idea as to where to go. All I'm saying is, SKW basically hired zero pilots in 2012 and 2013. The hiring bonanza started in Dec. 2013 and has continued unabated. A new hire coming to SKW now cannot expect the same rapid seniority progression that the late 2013/ early 2014 hires are seeing, i.e. a less than 2.5-year upgrade.

Of course, it's not like there are obviously better options out there. It's just that this magical upgrade bandwagon has left, and if you're getting hired now, you can't remotely expect that sort of upgrade time. Nor, I guess, will you see yourself in the top 15% of a base in just over 2 years. Because we hired a lot of people in 2014/15/16, and most of those guys don't have the hours to go to a ULCC, LCC, or major.

That is all.