Old 09-05-2016, 05:37 PM
gettinbumped
Banned

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: A320 Cap

Originally Posted by MartinBishop View Post
You apparently have a reading comprehension problem
No I don't. I've spent 25 years living the ramifications of airline life with and without unions. You don't want to be forced to join a union, and you resent being "coerced" into paying dues as a condition of employment. For 85 years pilots have been doing this dance, so I'm not sure why you think you've come along and built a better mousetrap. It wouldn't work if dues were "optional". Nobody LIKES putting in their 2%, but almost all of us understand why we do it and how important it is to have EVERYONE on board. Many of us understand it so well we donate MORE to ALPA PAC voluntarily. Consider it a price of admission, and if you don't like it, don't play. But when and if you finally get your licenses and ratings and make it to the airlines, take my advice and leave the independent contractor mindset at home. You won't find a lot of sympathetic ears.

As mentioned, lots of shops out there that you can exercise you desire not to be forced into paying union dues. Just remember that any gains you obtain at those places are most likely do to the pattern bargaining that's typical in this industry, and the vast majority of pilots who have fought for those gains have paid their dues while you have just enjoyed the spoils. I'm guessing you resent paying taxes on the money you earn at work, too. That's not "optional" either, so why not pick up that crusade?