Old 09-26-2016, 02:46 AM
Skyone
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: B777 Left

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Come on. Blaming a company policy for that accident is a bit ridiculous. What if ATC told them to go around or the company policy for stable approaches wasn't met. Are you going to blame those things for the same type of accident? Any go around shouldn't be inherently dangerous, it's a routine maneuver.
They didn't fly the airplane. The reason for the go around (whether you think it's valid or not) has no bearing on the outcome. That's all on the crew.
Routine maneuver? When, may I ask, was the last time you did a go-around AFTER touchdown? Not touchdown after performing the go-around. In your last several proficiency checks, did you practice this maneuver or touch and go's? In twenty years of flying the 777/767/757 at three different airlines, not once have I been required to perform a g/a AFTER touchdown....20 ft., yes, resulting in a touchdown.

Secondly, you seem to have a lack of understanding of Dr. James Reason's Swiss Cheese model. A lot of negative training involved, also.

I'm not defending or blaming the crew, only that factors involved in this event are not evident at first blush. And basic training for children of the magenta line is not there. Finally, an airline that at one time was contemplating that all landings on a certain type of 4 engine aircraft be autolands......well tell me that this isn't one more lined up hole in the Swiss cheese with regard to relying on only automation.