View Single Post
Old 10-23-2016, 03:39 AM
E2CMaster
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: BE350 PIC
Default How hard are the reserves being used?

This came up in another thread, but I didn't want to hijack it.

I was involuntarily recalled to active duty for about a year, starting in February.. Of course this happens just as airlines start calling.

A couple people express shock/disbelief that we are getting involuntary Mobilizations at this point.

What's it like where you are?

I'm a O-4 in the Navy Reserve, 16 years in. Pilot, TS/SCI, non flying unit.

We have 7 officers.

O-5 CO- Mobilized.
O-5 XO- Just got back from a Mob
O-4(Me)- Just got hit for a Mob four days after minimum dwell
O-4- Is going to get into sanctuary with anything over six months.. Hasn't been mob'd as a result.
O-4 On min dwell from last Mob
O-4 Not on dwell, no Mob
O-3 Took "involuntary" orders voluntarily by waiving dwell because it was in DC, where he lives vs getting a year in Afghanistan.

Asking around our reserve center, a lot of guys with TS/SCIs are getting hammered on the min dwell front.

For what it's worth, the Active Duty side of our command is spending maybe 6-9 months away from home on a 3 year sea tour. On a man day per year basis, the reservists are gone more than AD.

Out of curiosity, how is it where you guys are?

We are an air traffic control unit, that the fleet hasn't had much use for both active and reserve. That said, the mobilizations are supposedly doled out at the Reserve Forces (2 star) level without really looking at the unit the person is coming from.

If active duty was deploying their rears off, I'd be less jaded about doing a year in Afghanistan.. But at least in my unit, they are decidedly not deploying much.

I was also mobilized to be essentially in charge of the airplanes I already fly. They claim there's not a conflict of interest, but JAG has said to watch my behind on it.