View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 06:22 AM
Richmond454
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Weather and Crunch thanks for the discussion. I've been out of country for a few days and did not have access to internet. So following will be the information that I've discovered since I started researching the past few months. It should pretty much back up what Weatherman has been posting earlier.

Crunh, there's been a lot of changes in the VA system regarding flight training because of a few flight schools that have really abused the GI benefits system. Some helo schools were getting away with 500K in flight training charges for Veterans. A lot of part 141 flight school with associates program use to pay for your PPL license. That's no longer the case. They will only pay for your commercial license and above. But there are schools out there that have been approved to pay for everything including your PPL. ATP programs would be the fastest way to get your ratings and so you can start building hours right away. But the VA caps flight benefits at a little more than $12,500 per year (I don't remember the exact figure). Without exaggeration I've spoken to about 15 different part 141 schools with both associates program (community colleges) and 4 year programs ie Florida Institute, Embry Riddle etc. What I've discovered is each school is in the process of navigating through new VA rules changes and the more nimble ones have been able to adjust their programs so that Veterans will be able to get all their training paid including private pilot license up through MEI. Plus you get the BAH of an E5 while attending school. Like I said earlier I've spoken to about 15 schools but I also emailed about 15 additional schools. Like Weatherman said earlier you get different responses from each school regarding VA benefits. I was able to narrow down a few good associates program after all my research. Feel free to send me a direct message and I can share info on these schools.

Thanks Weather for your response. I think I will go with the associates program and get all my training paid for. I was having second thoughts because a recruiter at an airline informed me that they were willing to give me $23K towards my training and once I finished all my training at their chosen flight school they will offer me a job at their regional airline. In exchange for the 23K in training I need to work for them for 2 years. This program would be accelerated and I know a few army helo guys going through it right now getting their ratings. They fly between 6-8 hours a day to build hours and get out as quickly as possible. The majority of the classroom work is done on your own. Some guys can finish in as little as 4 months but he says it takes about 6 months.

I've just been going back and forth between the two options that's all. Some days I feel like I just want to do the accelerated program and jump in the cockpit right away. This however would cost me around 20-25K. However if I take my time and go through the associates program I know I will learn more.

I know I'm in a good spot with two good options and some people don't really want to hear how I'm having problems picking. But thanks everyone for adding your input. Hopefully this thread can help other Veterans navigate through their GI bill benefits.