Cubdriver , 08-31-2007 02:33 PM
Cubdriver
close
  • Joined APC
    May 2006
  • Position
    ATP, CFI etc.
truthfulness
What kind of person would lie about a degree. If they would lie about something so huge what would they not lie about. Truth is a fundamental human problem, and it can be challenging. When you're sure you are going to get ripped off on your car insurance estimate so you put 12,000 miles a year on there when you actually put 17,000 miles on your car you told a lie; but the larger the subject is the more you had better be truthful about it. Sure, we all have had lascivious thoughts a time or two, or stolen a tape dispenser at work, or kept speeding through a speed zone because everyone else did it at the time; but to make major lies suggests wholesale lack of character and what amazes me is some people go through life maintaining lies the whole way. That senator from Idaho apparently lied for 60 years about his sexuality. What kind of life is that? It must be miserable.

Truthfulness is a human obligation but it is not as simple as to be mindlessly truthful all of the time. It requires a desire to be righteous, a little bit of self-discipline, and a little bit of dedication to your values. Show me someone who is 100% truthful and I will show you prideful, arrogant simpleton. If you are more than a little bit corrupt I will show you a loser. There is no easy solution and there is no simple answer to the mandate of truthfulness, but we all have to attempt it.