View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 03:08 PM
Qotsaautopilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by gatorbird View Post
First, let me apologize for the unprofessional and immature comments made by a very few of my co-workers. In their vitriol toward our current negotiation status it appears a few of us have forgotten how to be big girls and boys and have taken to unnecessary actions and name-calling. While the morale currently is the lowest I've witnessed in my 10 years here (strike included), the immaturity and subsequent actions by these individuals do not represent the majority of our pilot group and I'm ashamed that these few have chosen to air their frustrations in such a public way.

To your questions: it looks like the latest bid snapshot has the junior LAS FO slot going to someone with a August/September hire date. All bases are usually attainable within 6 months as guys chase the upgrade. As for the interview/hire, HR is having trouble filling classes. Some interview days all applicants are hired just to get a warm body in the slot. You do the math.

What my colleagues were trying to say was, based on our view within, Spirit may not be "better than your regional". The rates speak for themselves, morale stinks and our QOL provisions that our management loves to point out to potential candidates (and attempt to use against us in earnings calls) are overrated. The 4-day off provision doesn't look as good in a junior line in between 5 or 6-days-on noncommutable sequences, our transition conflict language mainly benefits only the most senior and our red/green language that allows for drops does one no good if they can't afford to do so. Our MEC has clearly indicated that an agreement is not expected any time soon. Morale is worse than I believe it's ever been, strike included, the difference being we were a nearly-bankrupt dumpy airline then but a highly-profitable, Wall St darling growth airline now that stubbornly refuses to recognize the value of it's pilot group and compensate us accordingly.

To you guys posting crap you shouldn't be: cool it. You've already had a Professional Standards email sent out on your behalf and recently had a thread closed. You're becoming what you want to keep Spirit from becoming. Stop making us look bad and leave the internet bully crap to someone else.
I would agree that as a body of work the work rules are about industry standard. However, four days off can be captured another way like southwest does with a min 15/16. Without that or the current 4 (5) days off we'd all be working 18hr trips and 13 day off lines.

You are right about the transition conflict language except that those that don't benefit directly benefit indirectly because it's a staffing inefficiency that requires more pilots which means every one holds a better line or a better base or a captain seat when they wouldn't without the conflict language.

Red green is by far the most valuable qol rule bar none! Is not just about dropping for no money. It's about swapping for different days. Getting that one really important day off you didn't get on your line and moving the money to a different day. Also for those that do want to drop it creates another staffing inefficiency like I mentioned above which is good for everyone. Whatever sec 25 modes into in a TA, changing red green is a non starter IMO.