Thread: Boeing Trainer
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 07:06 PM
UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display

Originally Posted by BDGERJMN View Post
Would be interesting to see what the larger two seat canopy does for the departure characteristics, it was a problem early on with the F/A-18 B/D before the updated flight control computer software mitigated some of that.

The left rudder inputs aren't a big deal there IMHO, my sense is like the Hornet/SuperHornet, the rudders are tied to NWS so you'll see them deflect with even small inputs to the rudder pedals(NWS). My guess is that the rudder effectiveness at that low of an airspeed is nil. Just my $.02.
Agreed on departure characteristics. I've been told the two-seat Eagles are the same way (easy to depart).

My point on the rudder input: usually, especially on a first-flight, a guy is going to line-up VERY straight. On brake release, unless there is a sizeable crosswind (or the ABs don't light symmetrically...but wait!! This only has one) it is rare to see such a huge stabbing motion of an input.

Yes, All the tactical planes I flew in the Air force had the rudder tied to the NWS, so that's not surprising.

If it was crosswind, we'd have probably seen a series of progressively smaller---or just one small steady---input(s).

It seemed like it didn't want to go where he wanted it, whether initial line-up, a dragging brake, a crosswind...and took a surprisingly (to me) large boot-full to fix it.