View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 10:50 AM
whalesurfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Riverside View Post
I don't get why people think like this. "I want to be a ground instructor, so I can fly the line someday." If your goal is to fly. Then apply for a FO position.
Maybe it's because FedEx does just that? ..or because some people applied a while back but they haven't been fortunate enough to score an interview?

FlyArmy11 - I do not recommend the ground instructor route. Basically it's a one-way street. Yes, there have been cases where people worked as ground instructors, later end up quitting to build up their flight experience and eventually came back as pilots, however they're a tiny minority here.
Several years ago I got to talk to a 75/76 ground instructor who was hoping he'd teach for few years and eventually move over to the pilot seat or at the very least to have a guaranteed interview.
Nah, some 15 years later he's given up on that.. :-(

I'd suggest you try to network instead and attend job fairs if you can. Your user name implies former/current military? See if people from your unit ended up at ups and reach out to them. They might be able to help.
Good luck to ya!