View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 03:28 PM
ItnStln
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Default Army National Guard Fixed Wing Questions

I am looking to join the Army National Guard and becoming a pilot. The states that I am looking at are West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Each of those states has fixed wing units from what I saw online. What I would like to know is how does one become a fixed wing pilot in the Army National Guard? It seems like most of the pilots are rotary wing, so I am not sure the process to fly fixed wing versus rotary wing.
From what I found online, the fixed wing units are:
West Virginia
C-12C: Parkersburg (OSA Det 28) and Bridgeport (Fixed Wing Army National Guard Training Site)
C-23: Bridgeport (Fixed Wing Army National Guard Training Site)
C-26: Bridgeport (Fixed Wing Army National Guard Training Site)
Maryland
C-12F: Aberdeen Proving Grounds (OSA Det 13)
Pennsylvania
C-12: Fort Indiantown Gap (OSA Det 22)
C-23B: Fort Indiantown Gap (Det 1 F Co 192nd Avn)
Virginia
C-12F: Sandston (OSA Det 26)
The list seems outdated as it still has the C-23, so if anyone has any newer information, please let me know. From what I read the C-23 was retired, so what replaced it?
Also how do deployments work for fixed wing pilots?
My goal is to become a widebody Captain at a legacy airline before I retire. Currently I have zero flight experience outside of Microsoft Flight Simulator, but I enjoy aviation. I am not looking to become a fixed wing pilot in the Army National Guard just to get the flight experience however! In the past I spoke to some Army National Guard pilots who enjoyed their jobs, and did it to take a break from their civilian jobs for a couple of days. Any additional input would be appreciated as I am open to any and all input/criticism.