Thread: Float
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 11:41 AM
R57 relay
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: A320 Capt

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
R57 - the way to succeed with using floated vacations hours is to post trips for pickup. On the N4 they show up 'below the line.' That's where you have more success vs relying on TTOT to drop trips. Above the line is company OT, 'below the line' is a pilot dropping a trip. Below the line pickups can be done before TTOT. It requires you to contact the owning pilot and he'll 'drop' the trip to you.

The better the trip, and the shorter it is(turns!!), the better odds of having someone pick up the trip. I've bid a month of turns and ended up not flying a single one. Dropped some, traded the others for different trips. It's a way to get time off when you can't hold a vacation in that month. You'll typically get a bunch of days off but it's harder to do if you're looking for a specific start and end date.

But even a blind squirrel gets lucky. Buddy dropped a trip over Christmas and used his floated vacation bank to pay for it. He was stunned that it allowed the drop but sometimes it happens.
I don't think many LUS guys understand or are using trade. With my PBS blocks I've only been able to improve my line by generally picking up more time. For Dec I listed every trip for drop at one time, only one that did was covered by CPA, but it was for the second week. Nothing around the holidays.

For January I tried to get 1 days to improve my trip trading chances. I bid everyone in layer 1, got none.