Thread: Fleet decision
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 PM
CheyDogFlies
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Kickin it "C"old School in AK
Default Be flexible

Be advised that day 1 of class can be a box of chocolates. "Availability" for fleets/domiciles as someone stated it, is entirely at UPS' discretion.

UPS is not good at ________ . (fill in the blank)

At the top of this list is staffing. The last 10 years has shown that they constantly readjust the seats of the bottom 50-100 (?--I don't know--I'm just spitballing that number), to make VERY small adjustments in each domicile/fleet.

They can decide that of the 24 newhires in class X, 20 are going to the 747 in ANC, 2 to ONT 767, and 2 to SDF A300. This has not been the case yet--there has been a variety of seats so far. But still, it is entirely at their discretion, and remember--they're not good at ________ .

Just as they've been doing over the last ten years, they may upend a lot of lives over the next __ years with the same tiny adjustments (also affecting junior Captains). These changes have been in the single digits for fleets/seats/domiciles. As a furloughee and 2007 hire, I was on the chopping block for my ANC seat in 2016 and was already talking with a realtor, but a large number of people senior to me bid out, so I got to stay--just dumb luck.

Be flexible for a very unpredictable first __ years, many months of which might be in training. To end on a positive spin, I don't think it will be as bad as the last 10 years--but be ready to roll with the punches. They're good at punching.