Thread: Omni Air
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 06:34 AM
Packrat
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Originally Posted by HeavyDriver View Post
The schedule sucks. A lot of multi leg DH travel to meet up with an airplane that you might not get to fly a leg in months. 767 side has better flying schedules.

You can get extended beyond 18 days when required by the operation.

Not a place to build experience or for any quality of life. Stay away if you have a job.
Originally Posted by aviatorhi View Post
On the other hand if you are ok with getting 10-26 days off in a row, and don't care about the actual flying it's a pretty ok deal. I've been happy since May. But I'm a guy who would be ok working in Antarctica if the days off work. So YMMV.
Both these views are correct. I modified Heavy's quote a bit. Omni is not a place to fly if you are trying to build flight time. 200 - 500 hours a year is the range of what you can expect on the 777. The 767 is probably more.

If there is a IOE going on, you can expect a LOT of heavy crew (4 pilots) dozing for dollars. You'll get plenty of mileage on commercial DH and hotel points (where they give them) from extended "layovers" that are scheduled as LCAL (Long Call Reserve).

The fly in the ointment is the current contract negotiations that could drag on for the foreseeable future. Currently a new hire would make about $35K a year more by starting at Kalitta FWIW.

All that said, if you want to fly heavy jets to places you've never seen before operating fairly independently, Omni is an alternative.