View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 04:18 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by Rebin View Post
I have another question not related to the original ones if you guys could help me out. There are many flight schools that I have found in the Philippines that are waaaaaay cheaper than schools in the US. How hard would it be for me to find an instructing job in the states for example or Europe after getting my ratings in the Philippines.
is the 1500 hours minimum to become a F/O same every where?
Your best chances of being hired as an instructor are to train at a place that will hire you. Remember that nearly every professional pilot (and his or her dog) is a flight instructor, or has been one. Not even a dime a dozen, instructors can be had by the bushel basket, plus a free grab bag. Many schools won't allow independent instruction (most rental places won't, either), meaning you usually can't simply rent an airplane or bring students to a school on your own, unless you're employed by them.

There are some schools out there that hire a lot of instructors and fly a lot of hours; Transpac or Westwind, where hundreds of Chinese students funnel through. Such places don't require you to have trained there, but remember that there are a LOT of instructors, and such places only need a smattering of them.

If you train off shore, you'll still need FAA certificates, and you'll still need to be up to the standard that anyone who's been flying in the US can be expected to do. You'll face an uphill battle trying to find a place to hire you, but it could be done.

Few US students go abroad to learn to fly. A big chunk of the world comes to the US, however.