View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 08:15 AM
FullyInvolved
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Thanks for the replies, ladies and gents.

MikeF16, I looked into Jet Blue's program but it's insanely expensive ($100k+).

sulkair, that's crazy! How are they managing to do both full-time?

JohnBurke, I absolutely hear you brother. I'm very thankful for the position I'm in as is.

NYC Pilot, we don't have a pension (it's a state retirement system). I see what you're saying about collecting a retirement from the FD then becoming a regional pilot. I've always dreamed of being a Captain on a wide body so I really want to get on with a regional ASAP and then flow.

Jingles, FDs around here start around $45 - 60k. I'm only making my current salary because of a recent promotion.

Here's the game plan I'm currently thinking:

- Start immediately on my bachelors. Texas has a tuition waiver for firefighters so if I continue to work as a FF, I can get my bachelors at nearly zero cost (and relatively fast...I've got about 85hrs)...which is another reason to take flight classes off duty I think.

- Get a 1st Class Medical to make sure I can even get my ATP.

- Start prepping for the FAA Knowledge Exam. I'm not too familiar with this part but I understand there's prep programs and FAA manuals to study to help prepare. Do I just find the one for PPL and start studying?

- Get my ratings ASAP and become a CFI and get into Envoy's Cadet Program and instruct on my off days until I have 1500 hours. I'm looking into different flight schools around DFW if anybody has suggestions.

Thanks again!