DaBest
Line Holder
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2016
  • Position
    doggy style ;-)
Quote: I stopped reading right here.

I suppose using this logic that all those pilots before us who pushed hard for onboard weather radar, meaningful rest regs, TCAS, EGPWS, etc etc etc should have just quit as well? Where would we be now if that was the case? First time I heard that "just quit" argument was from Glenn Tilton. It was lame then, its even worse now considering that its coming from fellow pilots. And, how often its being bandied about.

Fatigued? Just quit! Too chicken to bore through that big cell on final? Just quit! "What do you mean we need to be deiced? That will blow right off...you should just quit".

You might have made some decent points in your rebuttal, but I missed them.
You know exactly what I meant!
If you have a valid complain about safety, bring in on; there are plenty of ways to get your safety concerns across.
I'm asking; What is the biggest safety concern nowadays? Why are we complaining so much?!
I can assure you, that any safety related issues, are taken very seriously; safety is our business!
I don't undermine the struggles of the past, to get to this point. Furthermore, most of the improvements came accross as a blood economics; a consequences of human factors, equipment failures, inadequate or faulty engineering, lack of standardized procedures, lack of knowledge about the phenomena, lack of experience, or lack of cooperation amongst pilots and crew, commonly known nowadays as CRM.
History shows that lack of proper CRM and culture of authority (CA is the king) lead to human factor accidents.
Many of pilots protests and complains are usually related to contracts, pay and benefits, or none compliance with CBA. I have yet to see pilots walking the line due to safety related issues. Majority improvements in safety in modern aviation is a consequence of what happen and governmental regulation, due to public outcry. Safety is good for airline business, and economics. Yes, there is a formula for FAA airworthiness directives and economical impact vs safety margin, but FAA will never admit it. Not, too long ago, FAA primary mission statement was "Promoting an Air Commerce" not safety, as they believed NTSB was in the business of safety.
If you want, I can recommend few books about airline safety, history of aviation safety, and progress in aviation safety systems.
You simply give pilots and yourself too much credit for safety improvements; statistics and history disagree.
Pilots, with type A personality were major contributors to mishaps, with United CRM we started to see an improvements in safety.
But it wasn't implemented as a result of United Pilots pushed for CRM, it was recommended by NTSB after investigating a United 173 crash in 1978. Again, a consequence of an event. United has become a world leader in CRM, not because pilots were walking the line demanding an improvement in safety, but because it was good for business.
Pilots are good data collectors, but they always struggle with conforming to standards because everlasting battle between type A personality and standardization (somebody else is telling you what to do). That is why we continue to improve CRM and continue our training stressing importance of adherence to SOP.