Thread: Carry a backpack? What kind? Unprofessional?

airscout , 02-23-2017 05:57 PM
Line Holder
airscout
Line Holder
close
  • Joined APC
    Sep 2016
  • Position
    air attack pilot
Quote: Social awareness/social intelligence is ALSO the sign of a gentleman. Or simply, the sign of a socially evolved individual that respects other people's space. Even in a public place.

Because someone posses these skills of a gentleman DOESN'T mean they go and practice/exercise them at will without regard to who might be around.

That's in the same league as those that have text alert on at FULL VOLUME going off every 4-5 seconds with people around them while staring at their phone, people talking at the top of their voice on their phone with people around them, people that listen to music without earbuds on a train, at a coffee shop etc, people that like to watch videos on their phone at full volume, what have you............

Having these skills/signs of a gentleman that you speak of does NOT entitle one to be an inconsiderate a-hole at will.

Sheez, lighten up Francis. I dislike that stuff too, but I hardly think some Delta pilot breaking into song on the concourse should make someone feel that uncomfortable. Or is unprofessional. Didn't some airline just have an article about their piano playing pilot and how wonderful that was? I think that 99.9% of the people would rather listen to guitar and singing than, "The curbside is for loading and unloading only..." over and over. Anyway, my point is that not every pilot has to be some one dimensional cookie cutter drone to be a "professional". I think the opposite is true. And people should be comfortable in their own skin. If someone's luggage, or footwear, or hobby makes them a more enjoyable person to work with then I think it should be ok within all reasonable limits. I like to work with people who are happy.