Old 03-12-2017, 03:32 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that he just doesn't want to add either the Dual Time or PIC time together as the total duration would be wrong.
Not sure what you're saying here.

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Like when you are receiving Dual when you are practicing your commercial maneuvers, do you have to log that as Dual or PIC? It shouldn't be both as you columns and rows won't add up. You already have a Private License at that point, so why wouldn't it be PIC?
Log it as dual received.

You can also, per FAR 61.51, log it as PIC since you're the "sole manipulator" of the controls of an airplane you're rated in. But nobody other than the FAA considers that to be "real" PIC, since you were not actually in command, and did not "sign for the airplane". Most employers WILL NOT accept 61.51 Sole Man. PIC as actual PIC, and they might even send you home for trying to claim it.

My recommendation is to create a separate column for Sole Man. PIC, and reserve the real PIC column for flights where you were actually in command (all solo counts, including student pilot).

Since your paper logbook is probably already hopelessly jacked up, just add the new column to your electronic logbook and keep it separate there.

Paper Total PIC = elec. Real PIC + elec. Sole Man. PIC

Job App PIC = Real PIC + Dual Given

Job App Total Time = Job App PIC + SIC + Sole Man. PIC

Also never log SIC unless the airplane is type-rated for an SIC. Safety pilot in a skyhawk is not SIC. If you want to really screw yourself...log Sole Man. PIC while serving as SIC on an airliner.

You could also remove PIC from dual-given flights. It is real PIC, but airline employers typically account for it separately so it might make your math easier when filling out apps. Otherwise you'll have to subtract out all of your dual given every time you fill out or update a job application. This could be a real PITA if you continue to instruct on a regular basis. If not, you'll only have to add up your dual-given PIC from CFI days once, and make a note of that number to subtract from your PIC total.

Last edited by rickair7777; 03-12-2017 at 03:44 AM.