View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 11:57 PM
orka
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

DP, pax and cargo are opposite sides of the coin and different in every respect besides the cockpit. You are suited to one or the other, though its best to experience both to best appreciate the differences. Cargo can be subdivided into 2 categories, scheduled (FedEx/UPS) and ACMI (Atlas, Kalitta). I am ACMI and can't speak to FedEx/UPS type operations so I won't, other than saying I imagine it to be somewhat of a middle ground. Pax tends to be more glamorous with newer airplanes and cleaner uniforms. ACMI planes are older and uniforms are replaced with tee shirts/sweatpants at top of climb. Pax flying is 2-4 day trips, either living in base or commuting and crash padding, followed by 2-6 days off. ACMI is 15-20 day trips, home based with paid tickets to/from work followed by 8-20 days off. Pax tends to be better paid but more monotonous. You are locked in the cockpit and do 12-24 hour overnights in Holiday Inns in places like Oakland, Omaha, Orlandlo. ACMI you have no cockpit door, no whiney passengers or high maintenance FAs, no stupid PA announcements, and will have 24-72 hour layovers in nice hotels in Europe and Asia and dirtholes in New York and Anchorage. Pax operations will get you more landings and keep you more proficient. ACMI is long haul with relief pilots and bunks. It is more physically demanding with jet lag and multiple time zones. Pilot skills tend to deteriorate and FO's get only 1-2 landings per month. I was a career changer too and found it to be a culture shock, and a marriage deal-breaker, but I have never looked back. Good luck!