Thread: Jet University
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 05:32 AM
BigWammerJammer
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: New Hire

Before anyone says "Run away", consider this: A guy with 194TT and about 5 ME got hired by Pinnacle out of Jet U (disclaimer - I went to Jet U and got hired by PSA).

Do you need to get your CFI? - No
Is it expensive? - Yes
Will you get a job? - So far, 100% yes
Will you be flying a CRJ in about 4 months instead of a C-172? - Yes
Costs $27,000 (last I heard), not $50,000
ATP Written at 80% or better is required for interviewing with Pinnacle, so you will have that done and out of the way

The word I got is that Jet U is less tied to Pinnacle than it was just a few months ago, but that is rumor. A couple of us went to PSA and others are looking at Air Wisconsin. There is (was?) no requirement to interview with Pinnacle, but it was very easy since Pinnacle came out to Jet U to conduct interviews. If you want to go somewhere other than Pinnacle, Jet U will make an introduction and do what they can to get you an interview.

Jet U wasn't airline nirvana, and there were some very frustrating/maddening times for me but, in the end, I started in March and will be flying CRJs in November (I could be flying them now but took some time for family reasons).

The best suggestion I can make is this: What do you want to be doing in 6 months from now, and what are you willing to pay to do it? Yes, CFI'ing pays as much or more than 1st year FO'ing, but you'll be losing seniority every day you are not in the system and there is some value in that.

It is not my intent to defend or support Jet U or any other school like it. Just weigh where you are right now and what it will take to get where you want to be.

Finally, for those who tell you that you can get on with very few hours and not go to a school, I got on with fairly low hours, but a guy with an A&P and about 500 hours did not, nor did a CFI with over 600 hours. Another friend has actual Challenger time and is a CFII/MEI and still did not get hired (no, she is not a goon and hopefully she's been hired by now). When you get done with these schools, you will have up to 80 hours in a CRJ FTD or Sim, and that has a lot of value to the airlines. Getting hired off the street from these airlines is not as easy as it appears when you have competition from people who go to these schools or are coming from other airlines because they don't want to commute anymore.

That's what I would tell your friends.

Last edited by BigWammerJammer; 09-18-2007 at 06:07 AM.