Thread: Jet University
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 07:52 AM
ToiletDuck
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Flyboy8784 think of it like this. Many places that hire, I'm talking the big dogs like Legacy, Majors, Fractionals, all have total time requirements. Lets say they want 1500hrs PIC. If you're a CFI you'll get that in about a year. Then you can go somewhere to get a little jet experience then start sending your resumes out again to get that nice job for the rest of your life.

Now pretend you have 250hrs, of which about 175ish will be PIC. You can go to a regional, make $20k-50k, and will fly about 900+hrs a year. All this time will be sic. You'll be at that regional for a few years before you upgrade. Lets say 3-4 years possibly by the time you get there. Now you've spend all that time training and up to 4 years BEFORE you start logging more PIC. Now you need another year and a half to get to that 1500pic. That could be 5.5yrs you've been at a regional making crappy pay JUST to get to where the other guy already was who was a CFI for a year.

Yes there are different types of PIC. There is jet pic vs. piston and multi vs. prop. However it's still nice to have a little of it under your belt regardless of what it's in. I personally never wanted to fly at a regional. I wanted to stay cargo and just kind of ended up here. I don't plan on staying long. I had about 1900hrs total time when hired. Most of that was PIC. I've met the requirements at the places I plan on working at next in that aspect. Now I'm sitting right seat getting my jet and 121 experience in. Withing exactly two years I have gone from 360hrs to just over 2200hrs of flight time. I have roughly 1800hrs pic and 350ish jet time. I'm getting 75-80hrs a month in the jet easily so one day when I hit 2500hrs I can start sending out resumes again. Obviously I know I might not hear from anyone for a while but I can still get them out there and then keep them updated.

The main thing is where will you be when the music stops? You have a commercial rating but no real flight time and experience yet. What if PIN stops what's going on? It's happened before. Go over to flight info and read about guys that were in the CAP(?) program. Some of them really got screwed with their pants on in that deal. If you are going to start go get your CFI. Places like ALL ATP can shotgun you through even though I don't think that route gives the best quality of learning. There are also places like american fliers too. A CFI ticket will give you something to use in the event the regional stops what they are doing. Also it was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. I hated the idea of having to do it and absolutely loved it. I met more people and flew more aircraft because of it. It also allowed me to get my times to a more competitive position for the regionals as well as my future goals. The quickest route now isn't always the fastest or best in the long run.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for the poor quality of this message. You can blame the ASA crew from last night for that.