Thread: Jet University
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 08:55 PM
TXTECHKA
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Originally Posted by de727ups View Post
"I get tired of the animosity directed at those who didn't walk in your footsteps. Get over it; times have changed."

You might as well get used to it. This animosity will not go away.

And the only thing that has changed is the standard held by a few regionals to get the job. The bar has gone quite low. It honestly boggles my mind how little is expected in newhire experience. And it's for no other reason than to keep fresh bodies in the seats rather than raise pay to attract a more well rounded candidate.

I'm just happy that I'm not a regional Captain having to deal with these guys.

All I hear from the Jet U guys is "The minimal experience to get in the seat is all I want/need to put out". It's a shame that these people don't care about reaching a higher personal level before becoming airline pilots.

It's a shame that a job as an airline pilot has become an acceptable way to enter this career.

couldn't agree more...thats one of the biggest problems with the profession is the lack pride has gone away. Now it's the lets cut as many corners as possible to get there without enjoying the process or taking into consideration the gravity of what the job entails and the value of true experience before taking the next step. It doesn't make any sense to have someone with 200 hours flying a jet. The captain is basically baby sitting but what happens when that guy that got hired with 200 hours upgrades to captain? He never learned to think for himself in an airplane. I have not seen any drawback whatsoever to my choice of waiting to start at a regional until I had an acceptable level of experience (2000TT, 600MEL, most of it's PIC) and I still consider that low time. And I did all that at a local fbo while attending a university that does not have a flight program so it just goes to show that you don't have to go to somewhere that will put you in debt to get a job. I don't owe a dime towards aviation but the experience I gained through instructing and corporate flying from the local fbo while I was in college was invaluable. Another point to consider is that when you get into a cockpit with a captain and you eventually start talking about what you did before the airlines, this route is respected. Its cool when you actually have some stories to tell rather than......I went to Jet U/gulfstream and flew the crj simulator until pinnacle/mesa/another dump hired me. But hey, you are trained in a crew environment so you must be good.