View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 09:33 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by N10DJ View Post

2. When you look at a class of new hires I think it's safe to say that most people aren't looking at the white males and saying "they probably aren't even qualified for the job." But it is safe to say that people are looking at the minorities in the group and thinking something of the sort. When you don't question the white male group in the first place to know if they are "qualified" then there's no way you can say that females or minorities are getting the calls That they should be getting.
I don't believe that I have ever been in or taught a new hire class in which I questioned whether those attending were qualified to be in the class. Regardless of skin tone, ethnicity, hair style, shoe size, sex, gender, or any other trivial and irrelevant metric, the mere fact that the individual had been vetted, interviewed, sim checked, and found worthy to be in the class put the student's qualification beyond my interest. Already addressed by the Chief Pilot, HR, check airmen and a hiring panel.

It's rarely whether someone is qualified, but how well qualified, and that's a very subjective question best answered by the performance of the applicant. The applicant's skin tone or mode of genetalia don't speak to that question at all.