View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 04:24 PM
freightdog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by CAL99 View Post
freightdog,

If I understand correctly the 1900 & Metro are Single-pilot IFR. Are there good 1900/Metro opportunities out of OAK or SAC?

I read in another thead that some pilots work other jobs during their down time at the out-station. Is this common? IF so, what do these folks do? Are you at the outstation more than 8 hours on a typical day?

I watch the Merced BE99 guy down here often. I think he just goes to the crash pad.

Also, it appears that the San Jaun guys fly some of the lonegt legs. How easy is it to transfer to other bases within the company?

Thanks in advance

Cal99
Cal99,

Actually there are only Beech 99s out of MHR (Sacramento-Mather) and the only Metro runs are out of Oakland. Upgrade times to turbine equipment out of OAK can be lengthy because there are not that many turbine runs out of OAK and there are only three (3) 99 runs out of MHR.

Most of the pilots that hold a run for a while to a certain destination will get CFI jobs at the local airport or other odd end jobs, just to keep busy.

The San Juan base (SJU) never seems to need pilots. Thet usually hire pilots who are already living down there and whose Spanish is really good. But, just like any airline we have an internal bid system and you have the ability to put in a standing bid in at any of the bases and when a pilot slot opens up they refer to the standing bids first before hiring off the street.

freightdog