Thread: Hats ?!
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Phantom Flyer
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain

Originally Posted by Phantom Flyer View Post
[What I noticed is that when people stop wearing hats too many of them overtime stop shining their shoes and even ironing their shirts and taking their pants and jackets to dry cleaning.

Is it connected to the profession going down the toilet? I think it is.
It is much easier to convince people that you are underplayed and overworked if you stay professional.

I agree with Lifeisgood !

I hated wearing hats but we were required to so and since the company was signing my pay check, I wore a hat every day.

Interestingly, several years ago, a survey was done of over 2,000 business travelers by an independent research company. The purpose was to judge the most professional looking airline pilots. Guess which pilot group was judged "the most professional looking and acting in the industry". Delta by almost a 2:1 margin. At that time, they always wore jackets and hats and even though I did not work for them, they looked pretty sharp. Were they better pilots....I doubt it... but the perception in the traveling public's eye was "yes".

I think that once you change to a more casual dress code, you loose some of your professionalism. Just look at "casual Friday's" in the business workplace. What started as a good idea has become, wear jeans, ragged running shoes and even tee shirts on Friday because "it's cool". What kind of statement does that make to a visitor to your company when half of the employees are dressed like they were going to work in the yard on Saturday.

Just my two cents, which isn't worth much these days. Incidently, we have a much more stringent dress code on the golf course that some employers; however, I do NOT wear a hat !!

FORE !!

an ol' Fox Four Driver[/quote]