View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 AM
155mm
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by flensr View Post
Maybe 75% of CAs I've jumpseated with have briefed me "if you see anything, speak up", or something to that effect. Makes it easy that way. Still need to use common sense, but diplomatically bringing up errors shouldn't be a problem for a reasonably well managed crew. Yes you don't want to distract a crew flying a challenging approach in bad wx for example, but what if they've only got 2 green and didn't notice? Or are ignoring off flags in required navaids? I've seen both of those in my previous job.

Directing a go-around? Tough call, being directive in a critical phase of flight. When immediate action is needed, comm should be directive then descriptive. But saying "we're really high, are you going to make the touchdown zone?" or even just "landing long ok?" before it gets to that point shouldn't steal too much of the PF's attention and might give a hesitant PM confirmation that its borked enough to justify a go-around call.

It sure makes it a lot easier when the CA specifically briefs what he expects from JS as a safety observer though.

If in doubt, consider...
"2"
"Bingo"
"Lead you're on fire"
This is good advice overall, just want to add my two cents! I agree, most Captains say speak up if you see something you don't like. Many years ago as a Jumpseater to an airport I flew in and out of many times, I noticed on short final (1/2 mile) that the crew was lined up for the wrong runway at night(general aviation runway that was too short for a safe landing in a B727). I stated out loud in a calm voice you're lined up for the wrong runway suggest a right downwind at 6000 feet to avoid terrain. Captain went around and made an uneventful landing on the correct runway, never said a word to me.

In this "case study" I didn't "command" anything, I simply pointed out a deviation and made a recommendation that increased his situational awareness (SA). The Captain used proper ADM to correct the situation.

Last edited by 155mm; 04-24-2017 at 09:50 AM.