View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 05:32 PM
jdebrey
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: CFI
Default HELP - Regional Airline 4 year outlook

Alright guys, idk if this is a question that can be answered but it's been on my mind

What does the outlook for regional airlines look like on a 4 year timeline

I'm a high school senior graduating in 20 days and have really been thinking about what the regional airline industry will look like when I get done with my undergraduate.

I'm extremely passionate about aviation and love to fly, but times are pretty dang good in the industry and I am a little nervous that this economy is going to take a big hit before I get done.

My main questions.....

The pilot shortage will be felt at the regional level thus affecting starting pay. How will regionals structure hiring/pay when their aren't enough qualified pilots in they're pipeline, but the company is struggling due to the a recession. Seems like they would be royally *******ed. They have no one to fly they're planes but can't increase pay to attract pilots.

What do they do?

The other side of the equation would be this:

Say the economy is going great, will the shortage continually increase pay? This would help a lot with all of the cash i'm about to be spending on my training.

Just an FYI I personally am not one of those guys pursing this career just for the money, but it is a big deal when it comes to paying back loans

Thanks for the response