Thread: Easy Jet Fiasco
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 05:07 AM
NEDude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Originally Posted by EXPAT1 View Post
I appreciate your help but still disagree. I have been told by gate agents at Easy Jet in LGW it does say this. Just because it does, does not mean I was prudently or reasonably notified. Even United Airlines found out the hard way via a multi-million dollar lawsuit that even though your contract of carriage states something a passenger still has a reasonable expectation and certain rights as the Illinois Doctor Dao settled for United's mishandling of a situation which was stated in a contract of carriage. The only issue I am asking here is does Easy Jet have any obligation or liability if they did not inform me of a very strange and bizarre policy which is almost borderline illegal as it certainly infringes upon the authority of the Dutch Immigration system. Traveling in a transit status is done by millions of passengers every day and I have never heard of such a ridiculous policy and even though I think Easy Jet should have informed me they certainly do not. In the end I lost 1 day and about $1000 for another ticket on Aeroflot along with the non-refundable Easy Jet ticket. Sometimes shXX happens. Anybody have any small claims experience?
Feel free to disagree. You are talking about United Airlines and U.S. law and trying to compare it to easyJet and and E.U. law. Two different animals. But the airlines have a well established right to deny boarding to those who do not have proper travel documents for their destination. In this case all easyJet could truly verify in their system was that your destination was Amsterdam and, as you freely admit, you did not have proper travel documentation for the Netherlands/Schengen Zone. Had your onward ticket not been valid (many European LCCs do not have computer systems that can see into other reservation systems and a printout can easily be forged), and the Dutch authorities denied your entry, easyJet would have been responsible to return you to the UK.

Good luck, and I do hope I am wrong. But I think you are swimming upstream here.