View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 11:07 PM
450knotOffice
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

If you believe most of what you wrote, you have a serious misunderstanding of the proper way to ask for a jumpseat, purple. This is not regional pilot vs mainline pilot (which is a ridiculous accusation, btw). This is common courtesy. Something all of our various airlines' committees believe in and endorse. It's a courtesy as old as jumpseat riding itself. You ask the FA to see the CA, introduce yourself, ask for a ride, and present credentials. In fact, at most, if not all, airlines, this is required.

by the way, did you not read the whole report? Had the jumpseater simply let it be after the CA asked him to introduce himself next time, all would've been forgotten. But no. Mr. classless, clueless jumpseater has to come back into the cockpit to argue with the CA about it. THAT's where this guy stepped over the line and showed his total lack of regard for proper jumpseat etiquette. And, yes, we've all met the occasional CA who has the personality of a potato and acts like you just bothered him by ASKING for a jumpseat, but honestly, those folks are one out of a hundred. Most are like "hey man, yea, you're totally welcome onboard. Glad to have ya. Did they give ya a seat? If not you're welcome in here.", then when told I've been given a seat, typically say "Awesome. Thanks for checking, man." And that's it. End of pleasantries.

The poster prior to me asked for elaboration. Well, he got it (this was not my report, by the way, in case you interpreted it that way).

Last edited by 450knotOffice; 06-10-2017 at 11:31 PM.